Thursday, September 4, 2014

September 8-12

It might be a little early for this but I LOVE Autumn! 

Hello Families,

We have been working hard on mapping in History. We have been learning about hemispheres, longitude and latitude, map keys and scale. Along with that we have been enjoying Treasure Island and will be making our own treasure map today. It will be fun! I told the kids if they read 2,000 pages by Sept. 17th we can watch Treasure Island for Fun Friday (or split it up for two). They have almost reached their goal! I am so proud of them. 

In Math we are starting a new goal! I have challenged the class to learn and know their math facts through 12's by October 30. If they ALL reach this goal they can earn a "soda fountain" party for the Halloween party. I have yummy flavorings for soda's. I think this will be super fun! 
I NEED HELP!!! I need to quiz each student in all of their math facts. Would any of you wonderful parents be available to come help me for an hour here and there until October 30th? All the help I could get would be SO appreciated! 

We had our first Math test this week. My policy is that if your child gets a 70% or lower they have to get a parent signature on the test. If they do not bring their test back signed the next day they will owe me recess. I also expect them to re-work each missed problem with your help for extra tutoring. I will then give them half credit for every problem re-worked that has the correct answer. This will help to bring up their test score AND give them a little extra help in the areas they need. I do expect them to be leaders and ONLY give them ONE night to do this, otherwise they lose the chance to get the extra credit. You will only see Math tests with a 70% or lower at home, I am keeping the others for parent teacher conferences. 

Donations needed this week for Science: 
15 large washers
15 small washers
5 large boxes of Popsicle sticks
masking tape

Scholastic News Friendly Reminder: I need $5 from each child to order this publication for our class. I as a single Mom do not have enough extra money to pay for this. I have received money from 7 students. If I do not get the money from each child I will not be able to order this magazine, which will help them with informational text reading for Standardized Tests. Money Due ASAP. This money will count as one hour of your 40 service hours you have agreed to. Thank You!!

Upcoming Events:

9/10- Half Day
9/11-We will be having an assembly September 11 to remember that sad day and celebrate America. Just a heads up if you want to take a minute to talk to your child about September 11 and why it is important in our countries history. 
9/17- 1/2 Day Parent Teacher Conferences ( I will be sending a sign up THIS week for conference times. Make sure to sign up, I can't wait to meet with you!) 
9/26- Fall Carnival

September Birthday Celebrations:
9/19- Tristen 
9/30- Jackson

Homework this week will be Math, unless they finish the whole book assignment in class. Spelling every night and a mixture of other subjects in the form or worksheets. 

Spelling Words:
  1. navy
  2. forty
  3. fourteen
  4. fourth
  5. four
  6. population
  7. proper
  8. judge
  9. weather
  10. whether
  11. worth
  12. contain
  13. figure
  14. sudden
  15. instead
  16. throw
  17. threw
  18. personal
  19. everything
  20. rate
  21. chief
  22. perfect
  23. second
  24. slide
  25. farther
  26. duty
  27. intend
  28. company
  29. quite
  30. quit
  31. quiet






No comments:

Post a Comment